Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Cool Tip From My 7 Year Old!



So I'm making this cake, and I have decided to have it all old-school (buttercream covered, no fondant), and I really wanted it to look goth and pretty. But I couldn't find any black, grey, or purple food coloring anywhere in the house (which is very strange, as I am always baking a cake for something). I was getting really upset that I couldn't make it look as I had pictured it: Kind of a grey-ish lavender, with black airbrushed over it. I had the black for airbrushing, but that wasn't going to help without the other colors.

So my seven year old comes in the kitchen, looks at the counter, and sees that I had taken out a little package of grape KoolAid to make with dinner. "Mommy," she says, "Why don't you just put the KoolAid in it?"

"I can't," I said. Then I thought about it. It was just a powder. There was no additional sugar, just fake grape flavor. Not exactly health food, but it was useful. Hey, I used to dye my hair with it! So, I tried it. It made the most beautiful grey-lavender color I had ever seen! It was perfect!! And it was grape flavored!! Awesome!!

So, if you are ever in a pinch for food coloring to add to your frosting, KoolAid really does the trick!! My daughter is such a genius!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment